WASH Sustainability Index Tool
Developed with support from the USAID-Rotary International H2O Collaboration, the WASH Sustainability Index Tool can be used to assess the likely sustainability of WASH interventions using a range of qualitative and quantitative indicators. Use the links below to download a guiding document that has step-by-step instructions on how to apply the Sustainability Index Tool.
The WASH Sustainability Index Tool Cheat Sheet
- The WASH Sustainability Index Tool “Cheat Sheet” should be used by the Specialized Team of Experts to complement the tool as a quick reference to help navigate, understand requirements, utilize assessment aids, and recall the detailed functionality. (Full text, pdf)
Two versions of the Tool are provided:
- A complete version (370 MB)
- A smaller version (37 MB). The smaller file size does not contain the instructional videos and should be utilized only after the full version with all videos has been reviewed.
- Complete Version-WASH Sustainability Index Tool. Click here to download a folder containing the complete version (370MB) of the WASH Sustainability Index Tool and the accompanying resource files. Please note: the USAID_WASH folder must be unzipped and saved to your desktop for the pdf file within and accompanying spreadsheets in the resources folder to function correctly.
- Limited Version-WASH Sustainability Index Tool. Click here to download a folder containing the smaller version (37MB) of the WASH Sustainability Index Tool and the accompanying resource files. Please note: the USAID_WASH_LITE folder must be unzipped and saved to your desktop for the pdf file within and accompanying spreadsheets in the resources folder to function correctly.
- For optimal results use the latest version of Adobe Acrobat Reader for viewing the pdf files. Although the accompanying spreadsheets are viewable in any Office version 8.0 or later (PC or Mac), for direct comparison between the video screen captures and Office, use Office version 14.0 (i.e. Office 2010) or later.
Additional Sustainability Index Tool documents are listed below:
- Sustainability Index of WASH Interventions: Global Findings and Lessons Learned. The Sustainability Index Tool, focuses on four critical areas that are known to be importance to the long-term sustainability of WASH interventions: institutional, management, financial, and technical factors. (Full text|pdf-1.27MB)
- Dominican Republic: Sustainability Index of WASH Activities. (Full text|pdf-2.51MB)
- Ghana: Sustainability Index of WASH Activities & Partnership Evaluation. (Full text|pdf-1.82MB)
- Philippines: Sustainability Index of WASH Activities & Alliance Evaluation. (Full text|pdf-1.59MB)
About the International H2O Collaboration
The International H2O Collaboration was launched in March 2009, and the first round of pilot projects were finalized in 2012 in the Dominican Republic, Ghana, and the Philippines. The central goal of this collaboration between Rotary International and USAID is to support water, sanitation, and hygiene initiatives that will have lasting impacts in target communities. The partnership between Rotary International and USAID is an official Global Development Alliance (GDA), which is an innovative public-private alliance model developed and used by USAID for improving social and economic conditions in developing countries. Visit the Rotary website for more information.
WASH Sustainability Index Tool Webinar with Helen Petach, Harold Lockwood & Ryan Schweitzer, November 20, 2013.
- Webinar Slides (pdf) by Ryan Schweitzer